Tuesday 26 June 2018

Seve's Trip to America

Yesterday I went to Morro Bay which is on the Central Coast of California. My grandparents took me on a tiki boat to see some of the marine life there. We saw sea lions and sea otters.

Image result for sea lionSea lions are big, kinda like a large dog. I learned that they bark like dogs too. They are also more closely related to a bear than a marine animal which I find really weird. The reason for this is because they have external ears. Most marine animals have internal ears.

Sea otters are a lot smaller than sea lions closer to the size of a small dog or a big cat. They live in the same area but they don't bother each other. There are only 3000 sea otters left in California (and 100,000 left in the world). The majority of the California sea otters live in Morro Bay. The population grows so slow because the females only have 1 to 2 babies in their lifetime and they are hunted by sharks and illegally by man. They spend most of their life in water because their body overheats and can't handle 10 mins out of the water. 
Image result for sea otterImage result for sea otter








Morro Bay has a big mountain rock called Morro Rock. Its kinda like Mount Maunganui but Morro Rock has more rocks on it. The only people allowed up the rock are the Native American Indians and they recently had a ceremony for the summer solstice which is the longest day of the year. The rock formation started in Mexico and over thousand of years has moved up the coast. It moves 2.5 centimeters per year.
Image result for morro bay rock#

Peregrine Falcons live up the top of the mountain. They are the a fastest animal in the world traveling 321 kph when hunting (WOW!)







Overall it was a very fun day with my family and I learned a lot.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Seve!!!!!
    Wow, what a fun and interesting trip this looks like it has started off to be. You have shared LOTS of information - great work! I found the information about the rock that moves 2.5cm the most interesting. Do you remember that video clip we watched about the Peregrine falcon? Keep having fun and blogging updates. I will be sure to share this with Moana learners! Koka Ngaire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the positive feedback. I wish all of moana could be here with me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Seve!!
    Thank you for sharing your learning with us. It's almost like we ARE there with you! I love how you added some photos with us so we can see exactly what you are talking about and I found all of your facts interesting. I didn't know sea otters overheat out of water, but that makes sense. I wonder what you will get up to next?! We would love to see more posts of your trip. Have fun. Matua Fergus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Seve,
    It looks like you're having an amazing time. I love that you are learning a whole lot of new things while you're there too. I like how you are thinking about New Zealand and making connections, comparing Morro Rock to Mt Maunganui.
    I'm really looking forward to your next update.
    Ms Ducky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Seve,
    It is great you can let us know what you are doing from California! You are doing some research to add to your knowledge of the marine animals you are seeing. I like how you compared Morro Rock to Mt Maunganui so we can get a clear picture in our minds of it's size. It is amazing that it is moving down the coast - I think the East Coast may be moving a bit, but more like a slow earthquake.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you again. Give our love to your family!
    Koka Nolian

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.